Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Get thee back to school day - it's time to party!

Yes, the first day of school, one realizes exactly how nice it was to not have school buses and parents on the road all summer long. Having taken these things for granted...I wanted to smack myself for taking the way to work where there approximately 38 schools and about 150 school buses. A ride that is normally 25 minutes blossomed into double that time - good way to start the day, especially after having labored on labor day the day before. Anyway, school buses stop approximately every 30 feet, and so as you can imagine there was a lot of stop-and-go, but also numnuts who blocked the lanes while trying to drop their kids off at school and not knowing where to go.

But I did see the most fascinating thing on the way in, which humorously made it worthwhile (not really, but at least it made me laugh). I was watching (at all 200 stops) the parents sending their kids off to the first day of school - waving and blowing kisses and saying "good luck" or "have fun" or "I'll see you this afternoon". Why they say "have fun" I have no idea -the first day of school is where kids realize there is no fun to be had for the next 9 months. Anyway - so the bus starts to pull away, and I swear at this one stop the parents started partying. Throwing confetti, dancing around, blowing noisemakers - it was flipping HYSTERICAL! They they all rounded up in a group and it looked like they were going either going to play ring around the rosey or put on a cheerleading performance..."ok guys, hands in! the kids are gone and we are free again...now go out and have some fun...ready team...break!" Classic. I was thinking this would be a bittersweet day for parents sending their kids off - sad for the loss of summer and missing the little maggots already, but how wrong I was! I watched at each bus stop and it seemed like the same liberating feeling was present (though not to the ridiculous degree of that 1 stop) - ding dong the kids are gone, the kids are gone, the kids are gone...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home